Women's Self Protection Seminars
Cost $50 Session Time: 2.5 – 3hrs
Times and place of sessions can be tailored to suit your needs
Tocumwal Martial Arts & Nathalia Thai Kickboxing, are now running Women's Self Protection seminars for women who want to gain some knowledge about defending and protect themselves.
Learning self defence gives you the confidence to protect yourself effectively should you ever feel threatened by another human being. These seminars run for 3hrs and are designed as a one off session where we have taken different aspects from different styles, to give you vital basic and effective skills that will empower you with methods to protect yourselves. It is not an ongoing course, requiring you to keep coming back for more training, although our normal training sessions are open to anyone to join.
The course will cover the following topics:
• Situational awareness of your surrounds, minimizing the risk where participants may find themselves in danger in the first place, as well as awareness of yourself and what you are actually capable of. You will be surprised at just what you can do and are capable of!!
• Get to know things like, 'Is there someone behind me?', 'Where is the closest exit?', 'What things in my handbag could I use or what is around me that I could use to protect myself.”
• How to portray a confident exterior. It’s crucial as strong body language conveys the message that you will put up a fight, this shows [potential attackers] that you're not intimidated by them.
Participants will learn:
• How to use your hands, either as a fist to punch or open hand striking techniques.
• How to use your elbows, knees, legs and feet as defensive and offensive weapons.
• The vulnerable areas to hit a person to inflict pain and incapacitate your attacker. Learning where to strike an attacker is as important as knowing how to strike an attacker.
• How to defend yourself and get out of being grabbed either from the front or behind and other ways you may be grabbed or attacked.
• How to use common items as improvised weapons E.g.: water or soft drink bottles, newspaper or magazines, car keys, mobile phones etc.
What you will need:
Participants are asked to wear comfortable clothes as this is a hands on physical learning course and to bring a water bottle, a newspaper or magazine that they would get regularly and a handbag or similar that you would carry with you regularly.
All ages from 14yo are welcome and there is no fitness requisite, self-defence can be learnt by anyone, you are learning to protect yourself and build self confidence in yourself and abilities.
We can cater for groups of 4 to 20 participants at a time. Sporting groups, work places, school students such as year 12 students going away to Schoolies, or just a group of friends that want to learn some basics, we can cater for all different groups.